If there's one thing I hate about Tumblr, it's its ability to perpetuate stupid fucking chain emails and other shit Snopes exists to refute.
I get that being into dolls is going to occasionally find me following someone young and immature enough to think that the 'shopped picture of a demon hanging out in the background of someone's terrible candid laptop photo is real and reblog it so it doesn't eat them, but come on.
Though I have to say that Evil Stick thing going around cracks me the fuck up, and if I ever find one in a dollar store, I will totally buy it. (Warning for self harm and general creepiness.)
And that's all I have to say today.
That is all for now.
1. What's on your current book wish list? If too many to list, describe what kind of things are on it.
I have a book wishlist a mile long, but some titles that pop into my head are Cinder, Supergods and Devil Said Bang.
2. If you could get just one of those as a gift right now, which would it be?
Well, Devil Said Bang isn't out yet, and while I do want to read Cinder, Sueprgods has been calling to me lately. I've been seeing and hearing about it all over, despite it coming out about a year ago now. So yeah, I'll go with Grant Morrison.
3. Are there any books in your collection that you want a different or secondary copy of?
I collect editions of Alice in Wonderland, but lately I haven't been finding as many. I really want the Ralph Steadman illustrated version (it's expensive!) and the Vintage version, because the cover makes me smile.
4. When is the last time you sold/donated/otherwise got rid of books you didn't want anymore?
Oh, within the last month or two. I don't keep as many books as I used to. Unless it's near and dear to my heart, or I think I might read it again, I usually donate it to local book exchange.
5. Do you have any books written in a language other than your native tongue?
Sadly, no. I might be able to muddle through a couple children's books in Spanish or French, though.
I finally ordered a new laptop! It's an HP featherweight model, so it's slim and small and light! The display's only 11" wide, but that's fine with me. I've wanted a smaller laptop, and for the price, it was totally worth it. It doesn't have a CD drive, but I can get a detachable one if I really need it. The only thing I can think I would need it for anyway is installing the software for our printer, but I bet there's a way to download it from HP's website. It's worth it no matter what, though, cuz it was only $400 thanks to the instant rebate Erik got for buying it through a program his work has. It should be here in about a week. I can't wait to put stickers all over it! :Db
Rule 1- Post the rules.
Rule 2- Say 11 random things about yourself.
Rule 3- Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and then make 11 new ones.
Rule 4- Tag 11 people and link them to your post.
Rule 5- Let them know you’ve tagged them!
Sorry, I am le tired. Feel free to answer Kate's questions, though!
01. I'm very short. I haven't even broken five feet.
02. I've been with my fiancee for four years now. I kind of like him, I guess.
03. I hope to go to Library School one day, even though I don't really look forward to going back to school.
04. I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter, or for a talking animal to tell me I'm magical, or for something in the vein to happen and change my life forever.
05. This is my second livejournal, and this month marks my tenth year on LJ.
06. YA fiction drives me crazy. Every time I try to read it, I end up disappointed. I plan to take recs for the rest of the year and then dedicate next year to reading those YA novels in the hopes I find books I enjoy.
07. On that note, I like to read, but I always feel I'm never reading enough.
08. I alternate between reading fan fiction and reading manga when I have nothing better to do. Right now, it's fan fiction.
09. I am completely uninterested in writing original work most of the time.
10. I hate getting invested in bands, because they always break my heart.
11. I'm tired, so this isn't a fact so much as it is a statement.
01. What's your favourite thing to have for breakfast?
I'm not really a breakfast person. I usually have toast, or some fruit, but I don't really have a "favorite" thing.
02. What song would be the theme song to your life?
Oh, I don't know, not probably one that already exists. In Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys", there's a passage about how everyone has their own internal theme song, which might not be very good, but it's theirs. I imagine mine is kind of a hazy, jazzy song that sometimes gets really frantic when the musician feels like it. There aren't any official lyrics, but every once in a while, someone tries rapping over it, just to see what it sounds like.
03. What's a skill you'd really like to learn?
I wouldn't mind learning to draw again, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of hurt.
04. If you could live anywhere, where would you live?
I'm actually pretty happy with where I live now. The area, anyway. I wouldn't mind a nicer apartment with less mosquitoes hanging around, but I like the Bay.
05. If someone gave you £100/$150 right now what would you do with it?
(Thank goodness Kate translated the money, because I probably wouldn't have thought to!) This is probably the boringest of answers, but I'd put it in savings.
06. What is your favourite youtube clip?
07. Have you had any interesting dreams recently?
I don't particularly like to talk about my dreams, but I did post about one on my public blog recently. You can read about it here.
08. What's your favourite colour combination?
Brown, pink and white. I know, I like how I have an immediate answer for this, too.
09. What's your favourite episode of your favourite TV show?
That kind of precludes having a favorite TV show, so hmm. I guess I'll just pick a show I really like instead. So, Parks and Rec. My favorite episode is the one where they all get the flu, because nothing is funnier than Chris commanding himself to "Stop. Pooping."
10. What are you looking forward to?
Getting that bracelet I won! I'm excited to see it. :)
11. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
Super strength, because I always love the tiny, but powerful characters. Molly from Runaways, Hotaru from Sailor Moon, etc. They're totally my type of hero.
Join us in standing up for reproductive health and education. Planned Parenthood, the organization that delivers reproductive health care, sex education and information to millions of people worldwide, has come under fire in the U.S. lately, with many politicians on both state and federal level seeking to end funding (and in a few cases succeeding).
During the month of May, you can send a specially designed Planned Parenthood vgift to your friends to help support this cause. (And if you need someone to send it to, frank is always happy to receive gifts!) There are three variations ($1, $5 and $10) for you to choose from, but they'd all look good on your profile when your friends know that you stand by something so important.
Thank you all for your help in our support for Planned Parenthood. This promotion ends June 1, 2012; LiveJournal is not affiliated with Parent Parenthood. For more information about Planned Parenthood, please visit: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/
-The LiveJournal Team
(If you'd like to help spread the word that we're raising funds for Planned Parenthood, you can crosspost this entry in your own journal or community by using the repost button below!)
(Serious props to the LJ team for this.)
According to this article, dated March 15, 2012:
"File-sharers, beware: By July 12, major US Internet service providers (ISPs) will voluntarily begin serving as copyright police for the entertainment industry, according to Cary Sherman, chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The so-called “six-strikes” plan is said to be one of the most effective anti-piracy efforts ever established in the US."
The article goes on to give details. After six notices, internet providers will decide to throttle a person's internet speed, or cut it off altogether. I don't know if they will crack down on torrents only, or if it is up to the internet provider. I get the sense it is up to the internet provider. So some people could get away with downloading non torrents, while others might get their internet service cut off. I urge you to click it and read, as we all know people who download.
No more downloading eps of your favorite shows for vidding, gifs, or fanfiction art. No more downloading screencaps possibly. I'm so sorry my friends. I don't even know if BT Guard will work to protect you, but I would google it if I were you. It is a professional service that supposedly can protect you from the invasive eyes of your internet provider.
Just, my friends, please make each other aware. Please be aware of the date JULY 12TH. Mark your calendar and double check with your internet provider by then. If you start receiving notices of downloaded activity, this is why. And your internet service could be throttled or cut off.
Fox news confirms this:
Youtube video explaining this:
Comment to this post, and I will list seven things I want you to talk about. They might make sense or they might be totally random. Then post that list, with your commentary, to your blog. Other people can get lists from you, and the meme merrily perpetuates itself.
Forgive me if I take a little while to get back to you on those prompts.
molt gave me ( these )
Thanks in advance. ♥
ACTA in a Nutshell –
What is ACTA? ACTA is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. A new intellectual property enforcement treaty being negotiated by the United States, the European Community, Switzerland, and Japan, with Australia, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Mexico, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and Canada recently announcing that they will join in as well.
Why should you care about ACTA? Initial reports indicate that the treaty will have a very broad scope and will involve new tools targeting “Internet distribution and information technology.”
What is the goal of ACTA? Reportedly the goal is to create new legal standards of intellectual property enforcement, as well as increased international cooperation, an example of which would be an increase in information sharing between signatory countries’ law enforcement agencies.
Essential ACTA Resources -
- Read more about ACTA here: ACTA Fact Sheet
- Read the authentic version of the ACTA text as of 15 April 2011, as finalized by participating countries here: ACTA Finalized Text
- Follow the history of the treaty’s formation here: ACTA history
- Read letters from U.S. Senator Ron Wyden wherein he challenges the constitutionality of ACTA: Letter 1 | Letter 2 | Read the Administration’s Response to Wyden’s First Letter here: Response
- Watch a short informative video on ACTA: ACTA Video
- Watch a lulzy video on ACTA: Lulzy Video
Say NO to ACTA. It is essential to spread awareness and get the word out on ACTA.Via Tumblr
Reply to this entry and I will give you five prompts. Think of a song that fits each prompt, post the five songs to your journal, and explain your choices. Give prompts to the people who reply to you.
My prompts from curiositykate: Nostalgia, winter, distance, royalty, needle.
( Read more... )